Project Journal // C39v2, Pt I

Part One of I don’t know how many parts yet! I’ve ripped apart and put back together AK’s so many times now I should just talk about it already.

I introduce to you my next future FrankenRifle, The C39v2!

cropped-12446279_869928839784100_193639347_n.jpg

Personal accomplishment for me: I’ve finally grabbed hold of my final preferences when it comes to these AK projects! *release confetti* because for real I’ve tried at least a hundred different styles, looks, ergos, whatever — you name it, I’ve tried it and I finally pinned down my preference with these rifles.

I’m not using Magpul furniture at all on this project. I have seen so many of these Magpul AK’s and I’m just so, so bored of seeing of them. So bored. Yeah, it’s probably (most likely) the easiest route to go especially if you want a folding stock, but what’s the fun in easy, anyway?

I researched for quite a few months on my Victim Rifle. I looked into Polish AK’s, Bulgarian ones, Yugo’s (which I’ve done in the past — such a nightmare to find fitting handguards for if you want availability to a wide selection for future swaps), you name it I’ve looked at it. I’ve even looked at going real deep and treading the grounds of purchasing the true weld-it-yourself kits you can find online. I would like to try that sometime in the future, but for now, I gotta slow my roll and focus on other things before that happens. And this is why I’m calling this a “project” journal and not a “build” journal. I am not “building” anything, I’m simply swapping parts to create a certain look and feel. Huge difference between “project” and “build”.

I was really turned off by the idea of the C39v2 at first because of my past experiences with Century Arms’ products. And (not so) secretly because I love originality and genuine firearms more than anything. I silently bummed around online to desperately find dirt on the C39v2 to try to justify finding something more genuine, but alas, the C39v2 is just great. The only dirt I really found was on the original C39’s, but it looks like Century really tackled the problems and worked out the kinks on the v2. No tricks here. And trust me, I’ve been lurking for MONTHS to confirm my suspicions!

Anyway, Century C39v2:

IMG_0374

 

• 100% American made
• Barrel 1:10 twist, concentric LH 14×1 metric thread and ready for a variety of muzzle attachments
• Chrome moly 4150 nitride treated barrel
• Milled 4140 ordnance quality steel receiver
• 1st AK side scope rail mount to offer a return to zero capability, also offers four times clamping improvement over traditional side scope rail mounts and improves sight acquisition for follow-up shots
• RAK-1 Enhanced Trigger Group
• Larger T shaped magazine catch
• Compatibility with AKM furniture
• Standard AKM sights
• Retaining plate
• Bolt hold-open notch on the safety selector
• Proprietary Chevron muzzle brake
• Bolt carrier tail heat treated to ensure maximum performance and life
• Accepts all standard AK mags.
• Comes with one 30 rd. mag.
• Barrel: 16.5″ with a 1:10 twist, Overall: 37.25″, Weight: 8.05 lbs

 

For my first phase of my parts list:

  • Manticore Arms ALFA Lower Keymod Handguard (standard length)
  • Manticore Arms ALFA Rail Superlow Picatinny Top Cover
  • Warsaw polymer stock… still trying to decide if I want to go the folding route with the warsaw since it will require a lot of work, and possibly a trip to the gunsmith for fabrication either on the stock or the gun itself (which I am trying to avoid). Still researching that, I’ll get more into it on the next post.

(Note: The C39v2 is NOT exactly the same to the original C39, as the original sports a double tang. This one has the standard single tang, please keep that in mind).

And as for colors… bakelite, baby. Yep, I am going to cerakote the entire handguard assembly and whatever stock I choose to be bakelite, but keeping the finish on the rifle itself as is. I’m aiming for a traditional look with a modern twist and I think that will really nail it on the head. If not, I can always start over, never hurts to have extra parts lying around!

 

You know, I almost feel bad about ditching the wood, the C39v2 comes with rather decent, finished furniture that looks very good. But alas, I am not a fan of wood, so it must go.

Keep on the lookout for these journal posts as I will be doing a quick write-up tutorial on how to swap and fit the furniture on the AK step by step as I go on with this project. Please let me know if you any questions about this project as I go on but I will try to include everything I think is worth noting.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s